Domestic Abuse Legal Options

Published: 04 August 2023
Last updated: 02 January 2024

There are various legal options that you can apply for to increase your safety:

Non-Molestation Order

A non-molestation order is aimed at preventing your partner or ex-partner from using or threatening violence against you or your child, or intimidating, harassing or pestering you, in order to ensure the health, safety and well-being of yourself and any children. 

Occupation Order 

An occupation order states clearly who can live in the home and can also restrict your abuser from entering the surrounding area. If you do not feel safe continuing to live with your partner, or if you have left home because of abuse, but want to return and exclude your abuser, you may want to apply for an occupation order. 

Domestic Violence Protection Notice (DVPN) and Domestic Violence Protection Order (DVPO) 

DVPN and DVPO are issued by the Police and aim to provide you with immediate protection following an incident of Domestic Abuse and to give you time to consider what to do next. 

How can I access legal support around Domestic Abuse? 

For support in accessing legal options, you can refer via: 


Telephone: 0345 3 303030 

You may also be interested in

Need Support?

Can't find the answer you're looking for?
Contact Us
Leave Site Quickly