LGBT Christmas Food Bank Appeal 2016
For the past few years staff, volunteers and supporters of LGBT Foundation and customers of Canal Street have donated goods including tinned food items and toiletries to Manchester Metropolitan Church, an LGBT-led Church which runs a social and support group for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender asylum seekers in partnership with United Reformed Church.
We are very keen to encourage as many people as possible to support us in offering support to the food bank again over this year's holiday period.
The needs of LGBT asylum seekers are as great as ever for many reasons:
- If they are lucky enough to receive asylum support and accommodation, the amount asylum seekers get to spend each week for all their needs is very small, and just a few tins of basic foodstuffs each week can really make a difference to whether or not they put a meal on the table each day.
- The delays and admin failures in the asylum process, and in the systems for support and housing provision, mean that periods of destitution with no source of income, often lasting weeks, crop up from time to time. On those occasions, a gift of even the most basic food makes a huge difference.
- If an asylum seeker is lucky enough to win their case and gets leave to remain, there is often a transition period to moving on from being asylum seekers to being unemployed and homeless refugees who find themselves in need of emergency help
What you can donate
In all those scenarios, the generous gifts of basic kitchen-cupboard, long-life foodstuffs from friends and supporters are a real lifeline.
In terms of what is needed, the most useful gifts are those with a long shelf-life - think, 'tinned goods, dried goods, and toiletries'.
- Tinned goods - vegetables, soups, canned ready meals, baked beans, pasta in sauce, canned fruit, etc.
- Dried goods - pasta, rice, tea, coffee, spices/condiments, etc.
- Toiletries - toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, deodorant, etc.
People can donate any of the above items via our offices at Number 5 Richmond Street M1 3HF until the week before Christmas and we will make sure the items get to where they are needed most.
We love getting Christmas cards but this year instead of sending us a card why not buy us a tin of tomatoes or dried pasta or other long lasting value foodstuffs to pass on to the Food Bank.
You can drop any items off at the following addresses:
LGBT Foundation, Number 5, Richmond St, M1 3HF
Donating at On Bar!
Our friends at On Bar, Canal Street have also once again kindly agreed to support the campaign and have agreed to generously top up all donations made by 20th December by 25%!
Everyone at LGBT Foundation and On Bar is delighted to be able to help Manchester Metropolitan Church with their Food bank.
To contribute to the Church directly, please follow the link here