World Suicide Prevention Day
Publish Date: 10/09/2012
World Suicide Prevention Day on 10 September 2012 promotes worldwide commitment and action to prevent suicides. On average, almost 3000 people commit suicide daily. For every person who completes a suicide, 20 or more may attempt to end their lives.
LGB&T people are more at risk from mental health problems and suicide. Did you know...?
· 34% of transgender people had attempted suicide at least once due to other people’s reactions to their trans identity
· LGB people are twice as likely as heterosexual people to have suicidal thoughts or to make suicide attempts
· Bisexual and queer people are more likely than lesbians or gay men to have thought about and attempted suicide in the past five years.
· At least 1 in 5 lesbians has attempted suicide
· LGB young people's suicide rates are two to three times higher than heterosexual peers (30% of total suicides)
Statistics from The Lesbian & Gay Foundation’s Evidence Exchange.
If you would like support and advice the LGF we offer a range of wellbeing services from pop-in sessions, counselling as well as new groupwork such as art classes and drama therapy as well as a national helpline.
For more information support and advice call us on 0845 3 30 30 30 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember – We’re Here If You Need Us.