Who are Your Homo Heroes?
Publish Date: 28/05/2013
The Lesbian & Gay Foundation’s Homo Heroes Awards 2013
The Lesbian & Gay Foundation’s annual Homo Heroes Awards, supported by Barclays, give people the chance to recognise individuals, groups and organisations that have made a difference in the community in the past year.
Now in its third year, the awards provide an opportunity to celebrate those that have challenged homophobia, are role models for the community and have a made a difference to the lives of lesbian, gay and bisexual people.
Previous winners have included Sir Ian McKellen, The Co-operative’s Respect Network and Lancashire Constabulary.
Sir Ian McKellen who won LGB&T Role Model of the Year in 2011 comments “I couldn’t have been more delighted, particularly as I admire the other winners so much.”
There are a total of seven categories for nominations, in which you can nominate any person, group or organisation that you believe has made a difference to the lives of lesbian, gay and bisexual people. Nominations are now open and close on 21st July 2013. The categories are;
· Homo Hero - Community Champion of the year
· Homo Hero - Business of the year
· Homo Hero - Lesbian, gay or bisexual role model of the year
· Homo Hero - Public Sector Partner of the year
· Homo Hero – Volunteer of the year
· Homo Hero - Community group or organisation of the year
· Homo Hero - LGB&T venue of the Year Award
· The Alan Turing Memorial Award in partnership with Manchester City Council
Following the initial nomination period, the top three nominees for each award category will be put forward for a public vote* from 1 August until 21 September 2013.
The winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on Thursday 3 October 2013 at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester. There will be a prize draw on the night supported by Barclays with all proceeds going to The Lesbian & Gay Foundation.
* the recipient of The Alan Turing Memorial Award will be decided by a panel
Get Nominating Now!
For more information and to vote visit: lgbt.foundation/hero #homohero