It starts with me
In April 2013 a nationwide campaign was launched by HIV Prevention England. ‘It Starts With Me’ speaks directly to gay and bisexual men, chiefly about testing and condoms.
This campaign is aimed at gay and bisexual men – we use the term ‘men’ in terms of gender, not biological sex and ‘men’ in its widest sense. This includes anyone who doesn’t identify as a woman, e.g. trans men who identify as gay or bisexual, or non-binary people who have sex with men or other non-binary people. If you don’t identify as any of the above then we can talk to you about the services we offer - please contact us on 0845 3 30 30 30 or e-mail email@example.com
Did You Know?
- Your life could be 10 years shorter if you delay testing for HIV.
- 8 in 10 gay men get HIV from a man who doesn’t know he has it.
- Most gay men test positive for HIV between 26-29 years of age.
We are at the start of a new era in stopping the spread of HIV. We know that the combination of regular testing, HIV treatment and condom use is the key to success in bringing down the number of new HIV infections and recognising late diagnosis in those unaware that they have HIV.
Testing at least once a year makes real sense. Test negative and end worries and doubt. Test positive and you can enjoy a long, healthy life - by testing early and starting treatment in time.
HIV treatment can stop the virus making you seriously ill. It can also make someone with HIV much less infectious. Treatment is free for everyone.
Thousands of people have HIV without knowing; most new infections come from them. There are also people who know they have HIV but aren’t yet on treatment. That’s why condoms are still the best barrier against HIV.
But tests, treatment and condoms are just tools – it is down to all of us as individuals to make it happen. It is what you do every day that really makes a difference. You can stop HIV harming you and the ones you care about.
You can be part of something that changes HIV history. You are the key to stopping HIV in your own life and in the community.
Join the community on Facebook, share it with your friends. Follow ‘It Starts With Me’ on Twitter, retweet and spread the word. Add your voice to the ever growing chorus of ‘ME’!
How to get involved
- Join the 'It Starts With Me' community on Facebook, share it with your friends.
- Follow @startswith_me on Twitter, retweet and spread the word.
- Checkout our listings section for details of sexual health clinics around the North West.
- Call The LGF’s Helpline for more information on 0845 3 30 30 30.
- Visit www.startswithme.org.uk.
What we are doing
LGBT Foundation is proud to be a key partner in delivering the messages of this campaign across Greater Manchester. We are promoting ‘It Starts With Me’ by tying the campaign into our services and promotion around HIV Testing, Sexual Health Screening, and our Free Condom & Lube Distribution Scheme.
As with any campaign we can’t do it alone - this campaign really does start with all of us empowering each other to take on board and help deliver the messages of campaign.
LGBT Foundation services
Here at LGBT Foundation we provide a range of sexual health and wellbeing services including resources you can use:
- Weekly rapid HIV clinic - Every Wednesday, from 12-3pm, you can come to The LGF and get tested for HIV. Click here for more information.
- Full sexual health screening clinic - The LGBT Foundation runs a sexual health testing clinic 4 times a month in places around Manchester. Click here to check times, dates and locations.
- Sexual health and wellbeing advice drop-in
- Why not try one of our workshops "Just for men"? See what we've got going on!
- Free Condom and Lube Distribution Scheme - The service has been running since 1994 and covers Greater Manchester. LGBT Foundation's scheme distributes packs which contain two condoms and two sachets of water-based lube and also provides condoms and lube to saunas. For further information about venues which host our condoms and lube contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0845 3 30 30 30.